TENURE (RENTER/OWNER) ACS TABLES at person level

Does anyone know if there are any 5 year ACS tables with tenure (renter/owner) at the person level rather than the householder level ?  For example if I want to know how many people live in rented housing for a census tract, is there a way to do this? No cheating -- I don't want to use PUMS data in some way. If there is a source of census tract data using some non-ACS dataset -- let me know.

Best,

Dave

• Table B25033 in the ACS summary file - Total population in occupied housing units by tenure by units in structure.

• I just happen to be working with this exact data!  here is the table structure if you need it. 

TOTAL POPULATION IN OCCUPIED HOUSING UNITS BY TENURE BY UNITS IN STRUCTURE 1,5
    Universe:  Total population in occupied housing units
    Total: B25033001
      Owner occupied: B25033002
         1, detached or attached B25033003
        2 to 4 B25033004
        5 or more B25033005
        Mobile home B25033006
        Boat, RV, van, etc. B25033007
      Renter occupied: B25033008
        1, detached or attached B25033009
        2 to 4 B25033010
        5 or more B25033011
        Mobile home B25033012
        Boat, RV, van, etc. B25033013
  • Dear JamiRae,

I'll try this out right away.  I'm at may computer now and working on this problem. Thx for the "service with a simile" - "speedy delivery" (homage to Fred Rodgers and Mr McFeely  ! Dave

• hi Dave--

You posted this and another earlier post about finding the right tables in the giant collection that is ACS, with it's forty thousand variables.

My own personal cope is: I keep for reference, on my computer, an XLS version of the "Data Dictionary" , a.k.a. "Table Shells" file for ACS.  Obtain it here https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/summary_file/2021/sequence-based-SF/documentation/user_tools/ACS2021_Table_Shells.xlsx  

So, whenever I need a certain table or cross-tab, I open that XLS file, and then "Ctrl-F" search for a text string of what I'm seeking. And that generally gets me to the right Table ID.

I hope this is helpful. 

Cheers,

Todd Graham

• me too! But I add that as another tab in the Appendices file. so I can also find the Sequence file it is in because I load all the data on my SQL server. www2.census.gov/.../

I know, now I need to learn how to use the table-based file structure since they are going away with the Sequence file format next year. 

• I load the CENSUS meta data for the various dataset types into R and then search on either the label field or "concept" field using grep in R.  When I grepped on "TENURE" quite a few tables came up. The metadata doesn't have a "universe" field so I didn't pick up the person level table when I searched.  After your help I went back and dug in further and B25003 was there.  Oh well.

Best

Dave

PS for other who might use R, tidy census has a function that can be used to search the metadata datasets.