Share of People Living in Metro Areas

Hi. I am looking for the ACS 1-year table that shows the share of people by state living in a metro area. I have collected this data before, but cannot seem to locate it. Thanks in advance!

Parents Reply Children
  • This would absolutely work, Bernie, but it seems even more tedious. The main impediment here is that data.census.gov does not include an option to select all metro areas within states in the US. TBH, it seems like a programming bug, since it is possible to select all metro area state parts for any individual state.

I'm sure we have something at MCDC that would make this easier, but right now I'm enjoying cocktail hour on my patio... Slight smile

• Please continue to enjoy!!

For later, I have attached a file:

The file includes one set of columns in which I used B10001 (as  suggested). I created a program to split the difference equally when a metro covers two or more states.

The other set of columns includes the results of last year's exercise, using the "Mystery Data". I definitely do not recall this being so tedious, so it's sort of driving me crazy ;)  I have also emailed Census's help line.

You'll see the share of people living in a metro area by state are similar in many cases, but the program to split the difference is clearly not the right approach here.ACSDT1Y2021.B01001_Processed.xlsx

• split the difference equally when a metro covers two or more states

Don't do that! 

• It was waayyy off (but just a first pass test)