Trying to get detailed language data at the city level

I'm trying to get detailed data on languages spoken at home to do an LEP study. I'm able to get the data by PUMA; however, my city is lumped in with two other cities, with no way to segregate them.

Is there some other way to do this? We're on the hook for non-English language support but can't get granular-enough data to figure out which languages we have to service. Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Yeah, losing Table B16001 at the tract level as others have referenced has really hurt my department's ability to address our LEP obligations. The release of B16002 at the tract level with the last ACS did add back a little detail so that was a very slight glimmer of hope.

Recently, I came across Table B05006 (Place of Birth for the Foreign-Born Population in the United States) and I've wondered about using this table's information in concert with B16002 to "reverse engineer" what languages we might want to focus on when all we have to go on is a generic geographic description (Indo-European, etc). Since they're all based on samples of a 5-year timeframe, it's fraught with issues of comparison but when you're stuck between a rock & a hard place with no alternatives, why not?...

Steve

• Dear Steve,

What is the city ?  If you can send state name county and csd (county subdivision) or place (fips and name) or csd (name and fips)  I can run it using PUMS data and my Small Area Estimation program.

Best,

Dave

Reply Children
  • I would take David up on this.  The Census uses a very complex Bayesian approach to estimate languages with small numbers of people who speak them, and are Limited English Proficient.  Small area estimation is the only way to do this.

My assumption is that you will want the English proficiency as well.  
  • Dear Steve and Andy

I assume that this is CA in which case the criteria is languages spoken by 5% or more of the population. Hopefully you won't have to "drill down" too far on the PUMS LANP variable which has over 100 different languages.

Dave

• Hi David, I'm actually up in Washington State and work for Snohomish County Public Works (30 miles N of Seattle). At the urging / pressure of our federal designate (WSDOT), we've expanded our Ttile VI analysis beyond just what is required under NEPA to essentially include all or our projects so we look at everything from intersection improvement projects up to countywide programmatic projects.

BTW, I'm not the person actually responsible for the Title VI analysis. I'm a GIS Analyst tasked with supporting that role so I'm responsible for updating the data and maintaining a web map based application we use to provide access to the information.