Forecasting race/ethnicity proportions at city scale

Hello, first time poster here, interested in forecasting.

I am working with a city-sized population (~150k residents, ~30 tracts) in the San Francisco Bay Area, for which I can retrieve ACS population estimates by race/ethnicity (from B01003) for a couple of overlapping intervals (2011-2015, …, 2014-2018).

The proportions are fairly stable, but I’m more interested in the future — specifically, in 2021-2025 — than the past.

As an R user, I could try to adapt some generic forecasting tools, like those in Rob Hyndman's {fable} package, to generate estimates for the near future. But should I be guessing at which tools and approaches to use, or has someone already done a pretty robust job somewhere else that could be adapted or applied? (Note: not asking for R code, just recommendations for an approach.)

Methods that would generate predictive intervals, or at least some metric of uncertainty/confidence, would be ideal. All suggestions would be welcome! I'm hoping to be able to apply the same technique(s) to other city-sized regions in the future, even after Decennial counts become available.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Very best,
David

Parents
  • Welcome to the group David! 

I would start by developing a conceptual model of what is driving demographic changes in this community.  Is it the birth rate of different race/ethnic groups?  Death rate? Immigration and emigration rates? General economic growth?  Housing availability?  Transportation?  You could use historic data to calculate trends for the important components.  Then model various scenarios for how policy changes might impact the historic trends.  

• Welcome to the group David! 

I would start by developing a conceptual model of what is driving demographic changes in this community.  Is it the birth rate of different race/ethnic groups?  Death rate? Immigration and emigration rates? General economic growth?  Housing availability?  Transportation?  You could use historic data to calculate trends for the important components.  Then model various scenarios for how policy changes might impact the historic trends.  

Children
No Data