Filtering by race and ethnicity

Hello,

I am trying to explore the data from the ACS on Micronesian populations and had a question about how the data is organized. Under the category of race by Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders I see the numbers for Micronesian by breakdown of origin (Chamarro, Marshallese, other). However, is the Micronesian data linked to the other ACS questions? For instance, can I filter by those who are Micronesian and their responses to housing, poverty questions, etc?

Thank you,

Brittany

Parents
  • If you use IPUMS the RACE variable does not include Pacific Islander subgroups.  Workarounds would be to use the ANCESTR1 and ANCESTR2 variables.  Alternatively you could use the BPL variable.  You could also combine these by creating a variable to filter for anyone with ancestry and/or birthplace of interest.  You might want to take into account RACPACIS to ensure that everyone you put into your group is actually of relevant heritage, rather than say a White or Black person born in the Pacific region. 

• Right! I wasn’t sure if it was in race or ancestryI should’ve looked first! Thanks Cliff!

Reply Children