Quick Census Data Question

The new 2020 population numbers are out and I am seeing different numbers/percentages from news articles than what I have from https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/datasets/2010-2020/metro/totals/ .  To be on the safe side do I compare CENSUS2010POP to POPESTIMATE042020 or POPESTIMATE2020 to get the correct percentage growth?

Thanks in advance.

Robin

Parents Reply
  • NHGIS is part of the IPUMS family of websites, but it's not "PUMS". NHGIS provides summary tables and GIS shapefiles. As an NHGIS project manager, I'm biased, but I'd like to say it's the most user-friendly source of the 2020 census data currently available!

On NHGIS, you can select any combination of the six tables from the redistricting data release and for any of the 97 geographic summary levels (states, counties, places, tracts, blocks, etc.) NHGIS doesn't display the data within the website. Instead, the system creates custom data files that you can download and open in Excel or other programs.

Most NHGIS files have nationwide coverage, so you can't get data for, say, just one city; instead you'd get data for all cities, and within that file, you could find the data for whichever city interests you. But NHGIS does support state-specific files for blocks and block group data.

Children