Trouble accessing 2010 5-year estimates for Block Groups in Miami-Dade County

Hello, 

I am fairly new to using the ACS so this may be a simple question but I am getting frustrated. I couldn't find ACS-5 year estimates for total population (table B01003) in some lock groups in Miami-Dade County. I have tried using the SummaryFileDataRetrievalTool_V1.0.0.14.2.xlsm but apparently this is not active since 2015. 

I have downloaded the Florida_Tracts_Block_Groups_Only.zip which has hundreds of documents in text format but I can't figure out which one stands for the tables or variables I am interested in, namely table B01003. 

Please help. I have been reading the technical documents but I can't figure this out.

Best, 

Samuel Olah

Parents Reply Children
  • Thank you, I would have to figure out how to do that. Do you know if there is another way of viewing in Excel?

• In addition to those crosswalks, IPUMS NHGIS also provides geographically standardized time series for 2010 census units. Through the NHGIS Data Finder, you can select and download a "time series table" that includes 1990-2020 populations of the 2010 census block groups. Then you wouldn't need to use the crosswalks.

For 2015 estimates, I'd recommend using 2013-2017 ACS block group data, not the "2015 ACS" because the 2011-2015 period is centered on 2013, and 2013-2017 is centered on 2015. (The 5-year ACS estimates are not estimates of the last year's characteristics; they're based on a pooled sample across all 5 years, corresponding roughly to average characteristics for the entire period.) You can get 2013-2017 ACS data from NHGIS as well. The block groups in 2017 ACS data mostly align with the 2010 block groups in the time series, but there are a few exceptions, as summarized on the NHGIS crosswalks page.